Monday, September 5, 2011

I will never buy pasta sauce again!



I’m hungry and my cupboard is bare except for some pasta and tomatoes. Ummm… I wonder how my own sauce would taste?


I just started growing basil and Cuban oregano in my kitchen window and I’ve never cooked with them so I’m excited to see how this turns out. I find a simple recipe for tomato sauce and begin to improvise. I believe that recipes are merely guides anyway, unless of course you’re baking, which calls for precision. But tonight, it’s a simple pasta sauce so why not play around.

I only have 4 small tomatoes which I assume won’t yield that much sauce but still plenty for me. Since the recipe I find will yield 7 pints of sauce, I eyeball what looks like enough of each ingredient, taking into account the way I like to eat.

What I used:
Onions, chopped big
Basil, I used about 6 leaves of varying sizes, coarsely chopped
Oregano, 3 large leaves, coarsely chopped
Salt
Pepper
Sugar, truly just a sprinkle
Sundried tomatoes, which I tossed on top of the finished dish

After sautéing the onions until they’re soft, peeling the tomatoes and squeezing out all the water & seeds, toss all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer down until the consistency is perfect for you. There’s no way I can describe the smells coming from my kitchen other than incredibly beautiful!

Prego®, Ragu®, Barilla®… I really don’t mean to sound boastful but, I’ve never bought a sauce that tasted as good as what I made tonight. The next time I’ll try different tomatoes.

Mom you’d be proud. I’ll make it for you and daddy the next time I’m home.

No comments:

Post a Comment